What is Handshake?
This acts as BYU's own job board. Employers who want to hire graduates or offer internships to current students post job openings to this website and students apply. Just like LinkedIn, employers can view student profiles and students can network as they apply for jobs and internships.
Why should I use Handshake?
During your time here at BYU as you are applying for jobs, internships, etc., Handshake will be your best friend for finding employers, applying for jobs, and networking with individuals. It will make your experience smoother as you go to enter the professional world.
Your first step with handshake is signing in. You will want to go to http://handshake.byu.edu/ to access BYU's specific site.
You will not need to make a new account, just use your BYU login, and it will sign you right in! Once you have signed in, there are a few things that you can (and should) do to make it the most effective:
COMPLETE YOUR PROFILE
• Upload your resume and it will auto-fill in your profile
• Completed profiles tailor your Handshake experience
• Information from your transcript is already uploaded
• Fill in the Summary/Bio section
• Fill in your past jobs and experiences, including all the bullet points you use on your resume
• Add a professional head shot and background photo Remember: every word in your profile will be searchable by students and employers
Once you've made a profile, here are some steps you should take on your career journey:
1. APPLY FOR JOBS
• Search for job titles, employers, or skills
• Apply for interesting jobs that meet your skillset
2. RESEARCH COMPANIES
• Under the “Jobs” Tab there is an “Employers” Tab
• Search for keywords or locations to find companies that are the right fit for you
• Plan to attend their info sessions on BYU Campus, connect with them at Career Fairs, or set up informational interviews to learn more Remember: when looking at companies or jobs, Handshake will tell you what other BYU students have worked there. Use this resource to network and discover more information!
3. EXPLORE FELLOW STUDENTS
• “Students” tab
• Search for fellow BYU students to view their profiles and job positions (Facebook stalking... “networking”)
4. ATTEND EVENTS
• The “Events” tab will be your key to attending info sessions, interviews, and Career Fairs
• The “Calendar” tab under “Events” will show you what events are coming soon
• Make sure to save events you are interested in or RSVP so you do not forget to attend
• Spread the word to your friends on social media
5. DOWNLOAD THE HANDSHAKE APP
• Search: “Handshake” not “Handshake Career Services”
• Input your BYU e-mail address: netID@byu.edu (it will forward emails to the e-mail you have on file with BYU)
• Handshake will send you a link via e-mail to enable your account in the app
• Navigate the app to perform all the functions of the website that have been previously mentioned
6. VISIT THE CAREER STUDIO
• Freshen up your resume, cover letter, or LinkedIn
• Receive networking help
• Practice interviewing with a mock interview
• Meet with a full-time Career Counselor in your field
7. GET A JOB, RING THE BELL:
• Once you’re hired, stop by the Career Studio to ring our Victory Bell and get a picture for the Victory Board
Toggle ItemI am coming to BYU, do I have access?If you are an incoming student to BYU, your Handshake account will be automatically created for you. On the first day of your first semester, you can access your account. See the "Making a profile" tab for more information on signing in.
Toggle ItemI am a transfer student, can I transfer the profile from the other school to BYU Provo?Unfortunately, this is BYU's career platform. The information cannot be transferred from the other platform.
Toggle ItemI attend or attended BYU Idaho, BYU Hawaii or LDSBC. Do I have access?
Toggle ItemI am not a BYU student, do I have access?BYU's Handshake platform is a service provided solely for BYU students and alumni. Unfortunately, if you are not one of these previously listed, you will not be able to gain access to Handshake through BYU. If you are affiliated with another university, please contact them for more information.
Toggle ItemI am an alumni of BYU. Can I use handshake?For alumni less than three years after graduation:
BYU has already created Handshake accounts for BYU you. Follow these steps to gain access to your Handshake account:
1. Go to http://handshake.byu.edu/
2. Click on <Recent Graduate>
3. Enter your BYU NetID and password
After logging in with your BYU NetID and password, you will be able to access your BYU Handshake account!
Alumni more than three years
You will need to send in a request to our tech team.
- Go to http://handshake.byu.edu/
- Choose <Alumnus>
- Click the button <Sign Up Here> in the upper right hand corner
- Fill in the information on the page that follows.
- We will need to approve your request before you can proceed. You will receive an email once that is complete.
http://handshake.byu.edu/You can either follow the link in the email or sign in at this link. Then follow these steps:
- Choose <Alumnus>
- TYPE IN the email that you used to request access to Handshake (do NOT select the button <BYU Net ID>), and select <Next>
- Choose <Log In using email and Password> (do NOT select the button <BYU Net ID>)
- Type in the password that you created when you requested your Handshake account
- Select <Log In>
Toggle ItemMy GPA is wrong, how can I fix it?The BYU handshake platform shows only the BYU GPA. Accumulated GPA from another school/credit will not show on the handshake.
If you still feel that there is an issue, you may want to contact BYU enrollment services: https://enrollment.byu.edu/registrar/grades
Toggle ItemHow do I log in to the Handshake App on mobile?1. In the app store for either iOS or Android, search for the free "Handshake" app, and then download it.
2. Open the app and enter the school email address connected to your Handshake account. This should be your Net ID followed by @byu.edu. Push "Continue."
3. This will send a unique code to your email address.
4. Copy and paste the code into the field, and push "Continue." If you already have an account, it will take you right into the app. If you have not used handshake, you will be taken through the on-boarding process before entering your account.
Note: There is not an option to log out of the app at this time. If you do need to log out, you can delete the app and reinstall it. When you open it after the reinstall, you'll be prompted to log in again
For more information, visit: https://support.joinhandshake.com/hc/en-us/articles/360009029933
Toggle ItemWhat do I do if I did not receive a code while setting up the app?1. Check your school alias email at https://alias.byu.edu/ and make sure your email is correct.
2. Uninstall the app and try to log in again.
3. If you continue to have problems, contact BYU Career Services Tech at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Toggle ItemWhat do I do if I created a faculty account instead of a student account?Follow these steps to gain access to your Handshake account:
- Open an incognito browser
- Go to http://handshake.byu.edu/
- Click on <Current Student>
- Enter your BYU NetID and password
*If the steps above work using an incognito browser, please go back to your regular browser and clear your cookies and cache. From that point, you will be able to access your Handshake account in your normal browser by repeating steps 2-4.